Friday, June 12, 2009

Chocolate Cobbler - or How to Give Yourself a Heart Attack and a Sugar Coma

I first saw this recipe a while ago on Southern Plate. It looked really good, but I never got around to making it. I really don't know why! Today I saw it again on Mommy's Kitchen. She had changed Southern Plate's recipe a little bit by adding lots of butter to the pan before putting in the batter. This time it immediately instilled a deep desire within me to make and eat this scrumptious dessert, and I knew that life as we know it would pretty much end if I didn't have it right away (it's also known as a pregnancy craving). I quickly copied down the recipe and headed for the kitchen. Here's the result:


This recipe is far from being healthy. It's loaded with chocolate, butter, and sugar. In other words - great for the taste buds and not so great for the arteries, heehee. I enjoyed every bite, serving it over strawberry swirl ice cream.

Chocolate Cobbler
6 tbsp. butter
1 cup self rising flour (1 cup regular flour plus 1/2 tsp. salt and 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder)
3/4 cup white sugar (I read the recipe wrong and added half this amount, it still turned out great)
2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla


Topping:
1/2 - 3/4 cup brown Sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 cup hot tap water


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 8×8 baking dish add the 6 tablespoons of butter. Place the dish into your preheated 350 degree oven. This will let the butter melt while we mix up the rest of the ingredients.

In a separate bowl add the self rising flour, 3/4 cup of white sugar, and 2 tbsp. of cocoa powder.. Stir the dry ingredients together. Add milk and vanilla. Stir together really well.

Remove your butter pan from the oven and add the chocolate mixture. The chocolate batter tends to be a bit thick and pretty difficult to spread out evenly, but spread it around as best as you can.

In a small bowl, add in 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 cup of white sugar and 1/4 cup of cocoa powder. Mix well. Sprinkle the topping evenly all over the top of your chocolate mixture. Slowly, slowly, pour the hot water over the top of the cobbler.

Place the dish in the oven for about 30-35 minutes. You want it to still be a bit jiggly when you pull it out of the oven. Let cool a bit and serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

Here's the pan after several servings have been removed. Oh, so good! I'm gonna go have some more...

8 comments:

Shelby said...

I could easily have this craving myself...and I'm not even pregnat! ;0) Looks yummy!

Katy ~ said...

A chocolate lover's delight!

April was in CA now MA said...

I got my mother in law addicted to this stuff many years ago! Be careful, it's evil I swear it! LOL

Heidi said...

OMGOODNESS! I think I just gained 20 pounds by looking at it! Yummy :)

Rachelle S said...

This is one of my favs, it's easy to make and you almost always have the ingredients on hand! I love it best chilled though. I have a couple recipes of this on my blog too.

Tina Butler said...

It turned out good Stephanie!! love the strawberry ice cream touch. I bet that satisfied your pregnancy craving and that little baby has a smile on their face a mile wide.

the twins said...

that looks delicious! of course, anything with chocolate always is =)

Michelle said...

This would make WIC happy, I just put on a couple pounds reading the recipe. My doc would not be so thrilled though..... Pity this wouldn't work with splenda or something! Man, this is soooo going on my list of stuff to make as soon as this baby's born.