Saturday, November 8, 2008

My Kitchen My World - Ireland

I tend to be a procrastinator when it comes to My Kitchen My World. I keep forgetting to check what the country is until Thursday or Friday. Luckily, when I checked on Thursday I found that this week, Michelle from My Year to Get Skinny chose Ireland, the land of potatoes. Since I live in Idaho, the other land of potatoes, I figured I could skip an extra shopping trip (extra shopping trip = extra things I didn't intend to buy in the first place = extra money spent) by making a potato dish. We've always got potatoes around.

I lucked out when I found this recipe on allrecipes.com - it's almost entirely made of potatoes, plus a few common ingredients I always have on hand. Because of how totally cheap this meal was, I'm also submitting it to Frugal Fridays, another blogging event that I have been neglecting of late. This made enough for four, for way under $10.


Irish Boxty
1 1/2 cups grated raw potato
1 cup flour
1 cup leftover mashed potatoes (I made these yesterday on purpose so I could do this recipe)
1 egg
1 tbsp. skim milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup oil

Toss the grated potatoes with flour in a large bowl. Stir in mashed potatoes until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and skim milk; mix into the potatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drop in the potato mixture, forming patties about 2 inches in diameter (I made mine bigger, pancake size). Fry on both sides until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Serve warm.


These were crispy on the outside, soft and potato-y on the inside. They were quite good.

When I plated these for pictures, I thought it would look great to have some butter melting tantalizingly on top of the boxty. When I went to eat it, the butter turned out to be totally unnecessary - it made them a little too greasy. Kind of like buttering fried chicken. But it sure looked nice!


See what other delicious Irish treasures were created this week - My Kitchen My World.

6 comments:

joannabug said...

Those look so good!! I'm going to try to make shepherd's pie tonight for My Kitchen, My World.

BTW, I love your blog! We're on a limited budget, too, as my husband is in grad school, and I'm home with twins (and working on my dissertation in my spare time). We both like fun and unusual foods, and it's great to see recipes on your site that can be made frugally.

Meg said...

This looks delicious! It would be great for breakfast or dinner!

Michelle Dargen said...

I love boxty's!! Great choice!

Dewi said...

Your boxty look absolutely delicious!

NKP said...

Those look so good. I would love them for Sunday lunch... with a little back bacon..... an egg.... and a beer. Perfect!

Shelby said...

Sounds yummy! My meal is in the oven at this moment!