Thursday, June 5, 2008

Simple Huevos Rancheros (and homemade tortillas)

We started thinking about dinner a bit late this evening, and had a difficult time deciding what to make. I started foodie-blog-hopping, hoping for some good ideas, when I came across a recipe for huevos rancheros. I didn't follow the recipe; in fact, I barely looked at it. But the picture looked good, and I came up with a simple knock-off.

Simple Huevos Rancheros
4 eggs
4 corn tortillas (recipe for homemade given after)
1/4 cup salsa
1/4 cup meatless spaghetti sauce

Poach eggs. We do it sort of a cheater way: Spray skillet with cooking spray and heat to medium-high. Crack eggs into skillet and let them cook a bit. Then pour about 1/4 to 1/2 cup water over the eggs and cover. Let cook until the white is firm and the yolk has reached desired doneness (we like the yolks just a little gooey still).

Combine salsa and spaghetti sauce and microwave until hot.

Assemble: Place egg on tortilla (pat off the excess water first), top with a couple tablespoons sauce. Simple as that!
You can use store-bought tortillas for this, or make your own. I used Maseca brand instant corn masa flour. Combine 1/2 cup Maseca, a pinch of salt, and 1/3 cup water, and mix well. Separate into 4 balls. Place a square of plastic wrap on the counter, put a masa ball on the plastic wrap, and top with another square of wrap. Flatten with a heavy saucepan. Cook in ungreased skillet or griddle 50 seconds per side. Repeat with remaining masa balls. And don't try to simply roll them out on a floured surface - it doesn't work!

2 comments:

maria said...

Hi Stephanie,

I came to your blog when I noticed someone? from here, yourself or a visitor visited me! (Through my 'Visitors' site meter)...

I've never tried eggs like this. I have the recipe in my English 'Two Fat Ladies' cookbook. Clarissa Dickson-Wright said that the spicy eggs were designed to feed hungry workmen who needed lots of energy out working on ranches.. lol!

amandalouden said...

YUM! Looks great. I love homemade tortilla's. Nice blog!