Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Potato Tomato Pot


I have this really old cookbook (from 1973) called The Potato Lover's Diet Cookbook, filled with low-calorie foods made with potatoes. It's one of those little books I love to turn to when I need something low on calories, but high on flavor. And high on potatoes.

Tonight's meal choice from this fun little book is a combination of some yummy vegetables, a little seasoning, and a little oil. It's more of a side dish than a main dish, but that never stops me from serving it front and center like I did tonight.


Potato Tomato Pot
2-3 medium potatoes, cut up
1 medium tomato, cut up (I didn't have fresh tomato, so I drained and rinsed a can of diced tomatoes and used that instead. Worked great!)
1 medium or 1/2 large onion, sliced
3/4 tsp. salt
Dash pepper
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 tbsp. olive oil

In a bowl, toss all ingredients together. Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray, spread vegetable mixture into pan. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 minutes more or until potatoes are tender.

Makes 4 servings (side dish size)
About 100 calories per serving

This dish was pretty well-received tonight. Here is what was left by the time I finished eating.


Shortly after this picture was taken, the pan was completely emptied.

No comments: