Sunday, May 25, 2008

What to Do With Leftover Cake

We've had some cake scraps in the freezer since February, when I made a pink heart-shaped cake for Valentine's Day. I set aside the pieces I cut off, knowing that someday in the future, I would find a use for them. Tonight I finally did.
Both Jeff and I were really wanting to create some sort of dessert tonight. Jeff fulfilled his urge by making candy. I decided to dig into the recesses of my mind and think - what do we have that we need to use, or have been wanting to use? I immediately thought of those cake scraps. I also thought of some cherry-flavored baking morsels I bought about a week ago because they were on sale. I thought they would go pretty well together. Then all I had to do was come up with a simple yet delicious way to use them. And this is what I came up with.Cherry Chocolate Layered Dessert
About 3 cups cake scraps, broken into bite-sized pieces (I used a yellow cake dyed pink. Other flavors would work well also)
1 box (4 servings) instant chocolate pudding mix
2 cups milk
2/3 cup cherry-flavored baking morsels

Mix the pudding and milk according to package directions. Assemble dessert while pudding is still runny - you want it to soak into the cake and then set after the dessert is made.

Layer half of the cake scraps in a serving bowl. I really wish I had one of those clear glass trifle bowls - that would have made this so much prettier. As it was, I used a translucent plastic dish. Oh well, it still tasted good.
Spoon half of the pudding over the cake scraps, then sprinkle with half of the cherry morsels. Repeat layers - cake, pudding, morsels. Cover and refrigerate until the pudding is set, about an hour or so. Serve.

1 comment:

Mimi Cooks said...

sounds like another form of lazy cake!! i like this recipe, i am sure the flavors are great together too. thanks for sharing.