Monday, May 26, 2008

Scalloped Corn and Broccoli

I spent a lot of time today browsing through the numerous recipes on allrecipes.com. I found this recipe while searching for low-calorie corn recipes. It looked really good, and I had all the ingredients, so I decided to give it a go. Of course, I changed the original recipe around a tiny bit, because that's just what I do. I'm glad I gave this recipe a try - it had a great flavor, and was really simple and easy. It took less than 10 minutes to put it all together, then all I had to do was bake it. I like recipes like that!
Scalloped Corn and Broccoli
1 can (15 oz)creamed corn
2 eggs, beaten
1 tbsp. sugar (recipe called for 2 tbsp, but most of the reviews said that was too much, so I cut it in half, and it turned out just sweet enough)
2 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. salt
6 oz. frozen broccoli, thawed (this is slightly more than the recipe called for)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
This wasn't in the recipe, but I also added:
1/2 cup browned ground turkey
1/2 cup chopped onion

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix together the corn, eggs, sugar, flour and salt. Add the cheese, broccoli, turkey, and onion; mix well and pour into a 2 quart casserole dish.

Bake for 1 hour.
Makes 5 servings.
224 calories per serving (with the turkey and onion. Without, it's 184 calories)

No comments: