Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Microwaved Chicken

In high school, I used to frequently cook chicken in the microwave as a snack. Take out a frozen chicken breast, add some Italian dressing and water, and nuke that sucker until it was cooked up tender and moist. I made a variation of that for dinner tonight. It only made enough for a couple servings, but that's good. I just went through the fridge and threw out a ton of gone-bad leftovers, and didn't want to make any more!

Take one frozen boneless skinless chicken breast. Place it on a microwave-safe plate. Drizzle ketchup on it, then spread 2-3 tbsp. unpacked brown sugar on top. Drizzle it with some salad dressing (I would usually use Italian dressing, but tonight I used Asian Sesame with Ginger). Add some water in the plate, up to 1/4-1/2 inch. Microwave at 80% for 10 minutes, then 100% for 5 minutes. At this point, break up the chicken into chunks and spoon the sauce that's collected on the plate over the chicken. Cook for another 5 minutes or so until done. Serve the chicken and sauce over rice.

I realized as I was eating it that this would be great as Hawaiian Haystacks, topped with pineapple, green pepper, tomato, cheese, etc.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I used to do this all the time! By the time lunch would roll around, my chicken would be perfectly thawed and would take less time in the nuker. I haven't done it in the microwave for a while, but I do marinade my chicken in salad dressings and then grill or bake them sometimes!