Friday, April 4, 2008

Conference Menu - Part 1

Ever since we lived in Oklahoma when I was a young girl I have equated General Conference with Potato Salad. We would drive to the Stake Center, watch the first session, then picnic on the grounds between sessions, and a deliciously creamy, dilly potato salad was always on the menu. We continue this tradition even now, and the duty of making the potato salad has fallen on my shoulders (probably because I was the one who cherished this food tradition the most). I don't measure any of the ingredients, and I don't think I've made it exactly the same way twice. But I guess that's the beauty of it. Here's an approximation of how I made it this time, with notes on how I've made it other times as well, to take to Mom and Dad's house tomorrow.

Potato Salad
2 huge baking potatoes (if you don't have huge potatoes, 3 or 4 regular-sized potatoes would work)
4 eggs
Mayonnaise
Plain yogurt (this is a new addition, I've never done it with this before, but we were low on mayo. It worked better than I expected!)
Dill relish (or I just use chopped up pickles and some pickle juice)
Mustard
1/2 can olives, sliced (I don't always add these, but they're good!)
Dill weed

Cut the potatoes in 1/2- to 1-inch cubes. Cover with water and boil until done. Drain, then put in a large bowl and chill in the refrigerator. While you're doing the potatoes, boil the eggs: cover with water, bring to a boil, turn off heat, cover, let sit for a long time or until you remember that you left them there. When the eggs are cooled, peel and chop them, and add them to the potatoes in the fridge.

When the potatoes and eggs are cool, then it gets fun. Plop in some mayo and plain yogurt (start with a little, and add more if necessary). Add some relish, some mustard, the olives, and dill weed (opt.). Basically, at this point it's a pinch of this and a dash of that. I think I ended up using about 1/2 cup mayo, about 1/4 cup yogurt, 1/2 cup relish (I like lots of dill flavor), and a couple tsp. mustard. Add salt and pepper to taste. Chill until serving. If desired, sprinkle with paprika and additional dill weed to add some color.

Yes, this recipe is fairly disorganized and thrown-together, but that's how I make the potato salad, so that's how I wrote it out. Give it a try if you dare decipher my instructions!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Wow, I am so bad! I didn't make potato salad this year. Although to be fair, I didn't actually have potatoes in the house (Gasp! I know...) I did however make mashed potatoes from a box... Does that count? Your cake looks yummy, I may have to try that with red jellow and strawberries-and-whipped cream frosting or something. And yes, your pictures look really good!