Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Chocolate Chip Life Cookie Bars

These bear a striking resemblance to the muffins I made yesterday, in that they contain Life cereal, chocolate chips, and walnuts. But these are much more gooey and dessert-like. This time the recipe called for Golden Grahams, which I didn't have. Loving to improvise, and encouraged by the success of the muffins, I chose once again to substitute Life cereal, and am very pleased with the results. I also changed the recipe by not sprinkling additional nuts, chocolate chips, and oats on top of the bars before baking. I was high on calories today and didn't need the extra calories all those toppings would have added (well, technically I didn't need these cookie bars at all, but I digress...)
Chocolate Chip Life Cookie Bars
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed firmly
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups crushed Life cereal
3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup walnuts
1/2 cup chocolate chips

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cereal, oats, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in walnuts and chocolate chips.

Spread mixture into a greased 9x13 pan (the stuff is pretty thick, I ended up having to use my hands). Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.Here, have a bite! :)

No comments: