Monday, April 7, 2008

Banana Life Muffins

I love taking a recipe and making it my own. This recipe originally called for Raisin Bran. I didn't have any, because they're not available through WIC. Lately I only buy cereals I don't have to pay for, it's cheaper that way! :)

So I looked through my cupboards and tried to decide what cereal to use instead. I decided to go with Life cereal because I really couldn't see this recipe working with Frosted Mini Wheats or Multi-Grain Cheerios. Well, maybe the Cheerios, but the Life was open already and the Cheerios weren't. And so a new muffin was born.
Banana Life Muffins
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 medium ripe banana, mashed
1/4 cup buttermilk (or use about a teaspoon of lemon juice plus enough milk to make 1/4 cup)
3/4 cup flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups Life cereal
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar. Add the egg, banana, and buttermilk. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in the cereal, chocolate chips, and walnuts.

Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full (I must have made mine fuller than that because I ended up with 11 muffins instead of 12). Bake at 350 degrees for 23-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.

No comments: