Friday, March 28, 2008

Blueberry Sauce for Pancakes

I was feeling blue this morning. Blueberry blue. Normally I'm not a blueberry person - I prefer strawberry or raspberry if I'm going to have berries at all. But this recipe was calling to me, and I had to answer.


Blueberry Sauce
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (I used frozen)
2 tbsp. maple syrup

Combine fruit and syrup in a small saucepan. Cook for 10 minutes on medium heat, covered. Allow to cool. Use as you would maple syrup.

This sauce is neat because as the blueberries cook they release their own juices and it makes a nice, not too overly-sweet, syrup. It's great served on pancakes, but can also be used as a dessert sauce to go with ice cream or a simple cake.

I served this with my whole wheat pancakes, adding 1/4 cup blueberries to the batter before cooking. Zaylee loved these! Of course I had to put her in a white shirt this morning... but she didn't get it too badly blueberried, since she was wearing a bib. Her face and hands - well, that's a different story.

No comments: